Monday, May 12, 2008

Nationals Park, Visit II

This past Saturday night my friend John and I went to Nationals Park to see the Nats play the Florida Marlins. We're both long time Orioles fans as a result of the Senators moving out of Washington in 1971 but John's a lot like me, meaning we'll always be Orioles fans first. As baseball fans, it's great we nave another venue to watch baseball. Since the Nationals are a National League team, our loyalties to the Orioles aren't jeopardized. Looking back, this is the first time I've had two teams in the same sport to root for.

For Saturday's game I got tickets from a co-worker and his seats were past first base into right field. Really nice box seats. Based on the two seat locations I've had and walking around, the park is a great place to catch a game. By all means, if you haven't been there yet, go!

The game we saw laid an egg (11-0 Marlins). For the record, this season the Nats are a horrible 1-8 vs Florida (15-23 overall). In the seventh inning we walked around the ball yard, checking things out and ended up in the center field at the Red Porch Restaurant. We grabbed some food there and alternated watching the baseball game and hockey and basketball playoffs. Best thing to do during a rout is walk around the new yard and experience new things the place has to offer. I was a little dismayed seeing groups of young kids in line waiting to play Guitar Hero and other video games at the arcade they have there. We never did that as kids at RFK Stadium watching the Senators or in Memorial Stadium checking out the Orioles. We just checked out the bull pen to see who was warming up or listened as our Dad's explained the game to us.

I promised a reader (and Benjamin fan!) I would promote a way to get some discounted Nats tickets to three games this Summer.

The Washington Nationals and the Partnership for Public Service are offering discounted tickets at the following games:

Saturday May 24, 2008 vs Milwaukee Brewers

Click the above link and receive $5.00 off the following locations:
Right Field Mezzanine $33.00 (Regularly $38.00)
Scoreboard Pavillion $24.00 (Regularly $29.00)
Upper Infield Gallery $15.00 (Regularly $20.00)

The other games according to their web site are:
Saturday July 12, 2008 vs Houston Astros (I plan to check this one out)
Saturday September 20, 2008 vs San Diego Padres

Great way to get to the ball yard to see the Nationals and save a little cash. Note: You don't need to work for the federal government to receive the discount but you need to purchase tickets from their web site (I provided the link above).

Some of my earlier posts about the Nats and the new park can be found here:

My Trip To Nats Park

Nationals Park

Nationals New Ball Yard

2 comments:

SluggerWV said...

I like your blog. I came across it after searching for George Pelecanos. Keep up the good work.

www.sluggerwv.blogspot.com

Bill-DC said...

Thanks! I'm anxiously awaiting the release of his book in August. He's one of the best writers out there and can really capture the feel of DC in his books.