Monday, May 05, 2008

My Trip to Nats Park

First impressions of the park were good. I left my camera in the car so no pictures but I'll save that for when I take Benjamin and Weena on June 29th vs the Orioles. My friend Jeff and I sat in the upper deck in seats along third base, section 305. Nice view for $18, you can see all over the park and even hear the pop of the ball hitting the catchers mitt. The HD TV screen is nice. During the game I was making mental notes of places and things Benjamin and Weena would like.

The park is a short walk from Navy Yard Metro (Green line). I was watching parents with kids and saw you can bring a stroller, food, water and juice from home into the park. Side note: It used to be when I would go to the ball yard in Baltimore with my friends John and Tim in the '80's, we would check for two things while entering Memorial Stadium. Women and where the Budweiser or National Premium beer stands were. Now I'm looking for family restrooms, ice cream stands and chicken nuggets...

I drove to my old job in Bethesda at the Air Rights Building and parked there. I took the Red Line to Gallery Place, transferred to the Green Line and four stops later I was at Navy Yard where the stadium is. Almost 40 minutes train and wait time (I got lucky, longest wait for a train was 6 minutes). It's pretty much the same distance mileage wise driving from Casa Benjamin to Bethesda and Casa Benjamin to Vienna Metro Station, but it would have taken close to an hour (more stops on Orange line) to get to the ball yard. Plus I wasn't sure if there was single tracking on the Orange line due to maintenance which is why I chose to travel via Red Line. In future games I'll drive and park in Bethesda as that worked well.

Word of advice for those sitting in the upper deck. Take some sunscreen! This knucklehead forgot to.

Great day at the ball yard as the Nats won 5-2 and took 3 out of 4 from the Pirates and went 8-3 on the home stand. Despite a nine game losing streak earlier in the season, the Nats are 14-18 now and playing decent ball.

No comments: