Monday, June 19, 2006

A Friend's Memory Lives On


I spoke of my friend Gema a couple months ago here. Seven years she's been gone. Seven years and I'm still at a loss for words. I still miss her. She was one of the nicest people one could ever meet. I'll share one little story here. When she moved back to Madrid, she became a teacher and she was proud of her work with kids. She told me one day that seeing a child smile was the best feeling one could experience and it was priceless. I nodded, but really didn't think much of it. Now that I am married and the father of an eight month old boy, when I see my son Benjamin smile, I smile and think back to those words she said.

Light a Candle © A.Pell 24/08/2005
Light a candle for those we mourn.
Into a new life they will be born.
Do not look for them at the gravesite.
They are somewhere else radiating their beautiful light.

They have gone to a new world where there is no darkness, no pain.
Their light and essence will always remain.
Light a candle for those who have left this mortal place.
They are free to travel through time and space.

When we think of them, they are near.
When we sit in a beautiful garden. Their voices we hear.
When we listen to a divine symphony,
We close our eyes, their faces we see.

Light a candle for they have not really gone.
With each flickering flame, in your hearts they will always belong.


R.I.P. Gema
3/10/68-6/19/99

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice remembrance of Gema. Mom