Friday, June 16, 2006

Len Bias: Twenty Years Later





This video is five minutes, click the center icon to play.

I was at work the morning of June 19, 1986 when I got a call from my sister telling me that Maryland basketball player and future Boston Celtic Len Bias had died. I was in stunned silence. I got someone's radio, there was no sports radio stations or internet availability like there is today, and I tuned into WTOP News. The station confirmed that Len had indeed died.

The Post covered it here.

Len's Mom Lonise has said in various articles that she has seen a lot of good come from Len's death, that Len lost his life to save others. People have come up to her and said they stopped using drugs after Len's death. ESPN.com article

Promise Thrown Away

He was easily the greatest college basketball player I ever saw play.

No comments: