Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's Over For Maryland

Memphis 89, Maryland 70

Howie Long is a Pro Football Hall of Famer who does commercials for Chevy Trucks. The only truck Howie Long didn't pimp was the one that hit the Terps today.

This game wasn't as close as the score indicated. Maryland's time in the NCAA Tournament is over. However brief it was, it really wasn't supposed to happen as this team was picked last in the preseason.

This turned out to be one of the more entertaining Maryland basketball teams I've seen in quite some time. You just never knew what you were going to see night after night but when crunch time came, coach Gary Williams and the team responded. They won two ACC tournament games and beat Cal in their NCAA tourney opener. Nice!

I'm sorry the season has ended. I really enjoyed getting pumped up with my friends to watch their games. In person, I got to see the first ever meeting between Maryland my alma mater Elon last December. Plus I saw what I call the best Maryland basketball game I've ever been to when the Terps stunned #3 North Carolina in overtime on February 20th.

I don't really feel like recapping this but I was there watching from start to finish and had two songs in my head during the game. Dave Edmunds "Slipping Away" when Memphis went up 20 early and a line from Semisonic's "Closing Time" as "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end". Next year I believe the Maryland basketball team will be stronger and they learned a hell of a lot from this year.

It was fun.

Post recap

No comments: