Monday, December 01, 2008

One Year Later.....

I’m approaching the one year anniversary of when I collapsed and blacked out in my basement (December 5th). Since that day there have been a lot of changes in my life including my diabetes diagnosis. To battle that, I’ve been watching what I eat, exercising a lot and monitoring my blood glucose. In October, my A1C was 5.5. When I was diagnosed in July with diabetes, I’ve lost 23 pounds. My blood pressure and cholesterol are at normal levels now thanks to my diet and medication I’m on. This past month my blood glucose averaged under 100 for the first time since July when I began taking readings.

It was also the first Thanksgiving where I had only one helping of food and said no to traditional favorites like pumpkin pie and other sweets. Prior to our meal I set a personal record of 62 minutes straight running on the treadmill. That was an incredible feeling.

I still have a long way to go where I want to be weight wise (25 more pounds to drop to get to 170 pounds) but I’m in no real hurry and my next appointment with my doctor isn’t until late April. Meanwhile, each day I alternate exercising at our rec. center and the basement, where I’ve got a treadmill and exercise ball I use to do sit-ups. Perhaps when Spring arrives I’ll take up bicycling the local trails again. I’m also toying with the idea of entering some 5 or 10k races but that depends on how I progress over the Winter.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

maryjanejeff said...

You are doing awesome with this! Keep it up! Only 24 more days and the toughest part of the calendar year to tackle this is over.