Friday, March 16, 2012

Capitals vs Toronto

Last Sunday I went to see the Caps take on Toronto. I haven't been to many Capitals games over the past couple years. Truth is I am still bitterly disappointed in this team since they, as the league's best team in 2010, collapsed to the Montreal Canadiens in seven games in the first round of the playoffs. The 2010 team was the best in Caps history and were poised to win the Stanley Cup. Instead they blew a 3 games to 1 series lead. Then last year after winning the regular season Eastern Conference championship, they failed to show up in a second round series vs Tampa Bay and were swept out in four games. Yet another disappointment. For those keeping score, Tampa Bay has won the last eight playoff games these two have played since the Caps took a 2 games to 0 series lead in 2003.

I still like the sport, witness the nearly five hours I spent last August in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. But I've probably reached my limit of disappointment with the Caps, who I have followed since the expansion year of 8-67-5 in 1974-75.

Maybe my interest will pick up again one day but I left this game (2-0 Caps) unimpressed.

Right now the Caps are battling for the Southeast Division lead and the eighth overall playoff spot. Can they get it? I don't know and I'm not even spending time following them on TV. The next three weeks will tell but overall, this teams just isn't "must see TV" like it has been in the past. They changed a lot of personnel over the Summer after the Tampa Bay playoff loss. The changes continued in the Fall as they fired the winningest coach in their franchise history (Bruce Boudreau) for a former player with no coaching experience in the NHL.

All that said, enjoy the shots. Probably my last effort with this team for a long time.













































No comments: