Wednesday, June 15, 2011

U.S. Open: Practice Round Photo Essay



Today I went to Congressional Country Club, site of the 111th U.S. Open golf tournament. On this beautiful 80 degree day I took the shuttle from Dulles Airport and arrived around 9:00 AM. There were no pairings sheets being handed out so I found the board where the players were listed and who they were playing with. I snapped a photo of it for future reference and set out to follow my first group of Adam Scott, Padraig Harrington and Nick Watney. After I picked them up on #16 and followed them in, I hung out at #18 for awhile before walking the course and taking a variety of pictures of players and sites from the course that interested me.

Comment heard often throughout the day: "I can't believe how lost I am without my cell phone".

Got a lot of autographs for Benjamin as well as a couple souvenirs from the day.

I left around 3:30 PM and made it back to Dulles in an hour. Very efficient.

Enjoy the photo essay and if you want a larger image, double click the picture you want to see.

My pick this week? Phil Mickelson. He's a five time U.S. Open runner up and he's due.





Adam Scott and his caddy Steve Williams.


Adam Scott


Padraig Harrington: Three time major champion.




Adam Scott tees off #17.


Adam Scott and caddy Steve Williams talk strategy.


Padraig Harrington works on his sand game.




Adam Scott and Steve Williams share a laugh.


Nick Watney tees off on #18.


18th green and Congressional's clubhouse.


Adam Scott and Nick Watney test the greens on #18.


Sergio Garcia on #18.


Gregory Havret practices on #10.


Hole #11


Hole #11


Hole #11


Congressional CC Clubhouse.


NBC 4's Chris Gordon interviews a marshal on #9.


Hole #9


Johan Edfors hits approach shot to #9 green.


Lee Westwood on the practice range.


Hunter Mahan on the practice range.


Michael Tobiason Jr.





Autographs


Lee Westwood signs for the fans.


Bubba Watson during an interview.


Dustin Johnson signs during an interview.


Ryo Ishikawa


Hunter Mahan


Sam Saunders. Arnold Palmer's Grandson


First tee bleacher shots.


Sam Saunders


Fred Funk greets Chad Campbell


Ian Poulter on the practice green


Hole #13. Used to be hole #12 for the Kemper Open (1980-86) My Dad and I were part of the marshaling team at Chevy Chase Club and this was our hole we were assigned to.


2010 British Open champ Louis Oosthuizen at #13.


Three time major champ Ernie Els on #13. Els won the 1997 U.S. Open at Congressional.




2011 Masters champ Charl Schwartzel on #13.


Charl Schwartzel tees off on #14.


Louis Oosthuizen tees off on #14.


Ernie Els tees off on #14.


Ryo Ishikawa plays his shot from the bunker on #13.


2009 PGA champ Y.E. Yang and Ryo Ishikawa practice on #13 green.


More practice on #13 green.


Focus!


Jonathan Byrd hits from the sand on #13.


2007 Masters champ Zach Johnson plays his sand shot from #13.

No comments: