Monday, October 13, 2008

Seve Ballesteros

Seve Ballesteros, one of the greatest golfers ever, found out this week he has a brain tumor after briefly collapsing last week.

The five time major winner is 51 years old. Flash back to December and pretty much the same thing happened to me as I collapsed briefly while working on my computer. I'm 46 years old and went through a variety of tests this year before it was determined I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. Thankfully I did not have a heart attack, heart murmur, brain damage or stroke.

I've been working on lowering my cholesterol and blood pressure as well as exercising and monitoring my diet. I am down twenty pounds since July. I have a follow up doctors appointment on the 22nd and will write more on that after the appointment.

Just want to take this time to wish Seve Ballesteros best wishes as the two of us are close in age. The only time I ever saw him play golf live was when I worked as a marshal at the 1982 Kemper Open at Congressional Country Club. On the final Sunday he was in near the lead so he was in the last threesome with Craig Stadler and a fellow you may have heard of, Jack Nicklaus. At the 12th tee I stood about fifteen feet from this trio holding up the Quiet Please sign. I was shaking like a leaf but didn't drop the sign.

Get well Seve!

No comments: