Wednesday, May 24, 2006

John Coltrane

I was running errands at a hectic pace yesterday, listening to XM Real Jazz Channel 70 when I pulled into the Costco parking lot. John Coltrane’s version of “My Favorite Things” came on. Despite the time crunch I was under, I remained in the car mesmerized by this version.

I’m a relative newcomer to jazz, thanks in part to XM’s jazz stations, so I’m learning more and more as I listen.

Coltrane’s been called the most influential tenor sax player in jazz history. He has the ability to take a fun tune as this (from The Sound of Music) and extend it into thirteen minutes of sophisticated music. This is very impressive.

He possesses a very interesting sound, playing his sax in a way that it stands out ahead of other instruments. Yesterday this stopped time for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just saw this and figured I should put it here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060628/ap_en_mu/people_bob_dylan_1

Bill-DC said...

Sweet. This episode is in the Baseball Hall of Fame!