Thursday, July 09, 2009

1969 Revisited

More summer reading about the year 1969.



President John F. Kennedy, addressing Congress on May 25, 1961 said "I believe that this nation, should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth."

On July 20, 1969, the goal was accomplished as Neil Armstrong was the first to set foot on the moon. This book is an account of that achievement. I wasn't even eight years old in 1969 but I remember sitting in our living room with the TV on watching the moon landing. Hard to believe it has been forty years have passed.

I also picked up another book about the 1969 Washington Senators. The expansion Washington Senators had never won more than 76 games in a season. They had a new owner in Bob Short and he did the impossible. He hired Hall of Famer Ted Williams to manage the team. Williams managed the Senators to their only winning record since 1952. This book recounts that 1969 season in-depth.



As I said in an earlier post about about another Senators book I picked up, I remember the trips to RFK Stadium but the games are a blur and this is a way to relive this.

Looking forward to reading these when we head to the beach.

No comments: