Saturday, January 16, 2010

1978: Music

Today Benjamin and I had our traditional Saturday outing and in the car, the song Beast of Burden by the Rolling Stones came on and Benjamin asked me to turn it up louder, so I did. Then he asked me the song name and who it was by. I told him all the info and the year it was released. He may or may not understand its meaning yet but I always try to tell him as much as I know on a subject such as music or sports.

So we arrived at our first stop, the library and we went about our business. While we were in the library, I started to think about that album by the Rolling Stones and the others that were released that year. What a year it was. For the record, I turned 17 in December 1978. I was in high school at Walt Whitman in Bethesda and the Washington Bullets won their only NBA title that Summer.

Here are some of the great records that came out that year and its ranking on Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time. All of these pictured are in my music collection. Kemp Mill Records in Georgetown was my go to record store then. The overnight DJ on DC 101, Jerry Strider, used to play albums in their entirety on weekends and that's how we previewed albums then before buying them. I can remember getting a cable from Radio Shack and hooking up my cassette recorder to my radio and recording these.

The Rolling Stones: Some Girls (#269)


Bruce Springsteen: Darkness on the Edge of Town (#151)


This album by Bruce is one of my favorites of all time.

Bob Dylan: Street Legal


The Who: Who Are You


The Cars: Debut album (#282)


Van Halen: Debut album (#415)


For the record, I listened to this a lot freshman year of college (1980-81) as one of my roommates was in a band called High Voltage and would break this out often. I even went to see Van Halen in concert that Fall in Greensboro NC.

Dire Straits: Debut album


The Grateful Dead: Shakedown Street


Van Morrison: Wavelength


Neil Young: Comes A Time


Elvis Costello: This Year's Model (#98)


Little Feat: Waiting for Columbus


The Band: The Last Waltz

No comments: