Thursday, September 10, 2009

Goodbye To Giants Stadium



The Redskins play their final regular season game at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Sunday. Can't really say it's been a kind place for them as their record overall against the Giants and Jets is 12-22.

I'll never forget the Giants hosting the Redskins in the 1986 NFC Championship game there. They dominated the Redskins 17-0. Phil Simms threw a touchdown pass and Joe Morris ran for another score. Punter Sean Landetta had a big day pinning the Redskins deep in their own territory several times. Their defense held the Redskins to 190 yards total offense and they just swarmed QB Jay Schroeder (20-50, 195 yards and an interception).

The New York Daily News has an article on Meadowlands Memories

For the record I have been there five times and here are recaps and links to the games I saw there. Sadly I never got to see Bruce Springsteen play there although I have several shows from Giants Stadium on CD.

August 31, 1987
Kickoff Classic:
Tennessee 23
Iowa 22

Giants Stadium hosted what was then the opening game of the college football season. I went to the Kickoff Classic with my friend John, a Tennessee alum and met up with his friends. During the game there was an announcement that beer sales stop at the start of the 4th quarter so we all made a mad dash to the beer stands to reload.

November 13, 1994
Arizona Cardinals 10
New York Giants 9

Really boring game. The Giants lost to fall to 3-7 and folks wanted coach Dan Reeves' head. Then they won their last 6 in a row to finish 9-7.

December 10, 1995
Washington Redskins 13
New York Giants 20

Brutal cold temperatures, wind chill was -10. The Redskins were driving for the tying score late in the 4th quarter but QB Heath Shuler (mercifully) threw an interception so we were spared the OT.

September 15, 1996
Washington Redskins 31
New York Giants 10

Giants second home game of the season. This was played in much warmer conditions from the last time I was there. Terry Allen rushed for 146 yards and the Redskins were all over the Giants in this game.

May 16, 1998
D.C. United 3
NY/NJ MetroStars 4

Road trip with the Screaming Eagles. A short handed (half the team was in World Cup qualifiers) D.C. United went down 4-0, stormed back with three goals but it wasn't enough. Great trip despite the loss as I met several people who I remain close friends with today.

2 comments:

Dave Lifton said...

I won't miss that dump at all.

Bill-DC said...

Forgot to add that I wore a 'Skins hat to each NFL game and the fans were pretty cool about it. If I recall, I had a couple hot dog wrappers thrown my way in jest during that bitter cold game in '95The guy next to me said "we're ok, we're not like Eagles fans"

Dave: Where will the new stadium be?