Thursday, June 18, 2009

U.S. Open Golf



Today the U.S. Open starts at Bethpage Black. The Black as it is called, previously hosted the U.S. Open in 2002 (won by Tiger Woods). This year it is playing over 7,400yards long and par is 70. Throw in a couple days worth of rain and it's going to be a long course for these guys.

One has to like Tiger's chances as he's defending champion and he's won at the Black before. He also won his last start two weeks ago at The Memorial.

Some quotes I liked as I read some articles prior to the tournament:

“I haven’t really played much courses with warning signs,” Henrik Stenson said. “It’s more for the ski slopes, isn’t it?”

“When I practiced yesterday, (it was) the first time that I saw one of the more difficult golf courses in my life, probably because of the rain,” Eduardo Romero said Wednesday.

From tee to green, this golf course is all you want,” said Tiger Woods, the defending champion and the winner the last time the Open was played on Bethpage Black. “With the weather coming in here this week, it’s only going to get longer and harder and it’s going to be even more difficult.”

Follow the tournament here

No comments: