Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Take That Diabetes: A1C is 5.5!

I had a follow up doctor's appointment today and my A1C is 5.5!

This is below the 5.7 I was projecting after averaging the 350 or so blood sugar readings I've done since I was officially diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in mid July.

This is down from the whopping 11.5 when I was last tested in July. When I left the office I was all confused and didn't understand the significance of this number then and I forgot about it as I was thinking was I had to make serious lifestyle changes. I'm stunned it was so high then, but I saw the results from that appointment when I was there today.

It was 7.4 back in March, three months after I collapsed in my basement. For those keeping score I go from 7.4 --> 11.5 ---> 5.5

Here's a quick rewind: I collapsed briefly in my basement in December. A lot of factors were involved. Stressful job situation, a minor car accident the day before and I had a cold as well. I went to the doctor and a variety of tests were done to see if I suffered a stroke, had any heart or brain damage when I was passed out.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre-diabetes then. Being the stubborn person that I am, I did nothing but take the blood pressure and cholesterol medication I was prescribed. No diet change, no real exercise and I still ate what I wanted. I work for a CPA firm and during the tax season they had all kinds of food and sweets available in the kitchen and I took advantage of that.

Then comes the July appointment and I was Type II diagnosed. I had to do something so I got very serious with my diet and exercise. I couldn't just pop meds and have everything magically disappear. So after three months of exercising 45-60 minutes a day, five days a week, I feel healthier and stronger today. I can't get down at myself for the six months I blew off to start the year as time can't be replaced once passed, but I know now not to take a break. This is with me for life.

Truthfully, I don't miss the ice cream, donuts, cakes and candy I used to pound down. I don't miss McDonald's or soda. Sometimes I will take Benjamin there for lunch and I will eat a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo and I toss the bun. No french fries and I'll drink either water or unsweetened tea. I actually like the time on the treadmill, elliptical and bike as I can listen to music and sweat uninterrupted. Weena's been great when it comes to preparing my meals and she makes sure I have healty snacks in the house.

According to the scale in the doctor's office, I have lost 20 pounds, down to 196. I'm 5'10 and want to get to 170 so there is still work to be done. The good news is I don't have to go back to the doctor's office for six months.

My attitude is I'll die with the disease, not because of it. I don't want to check out early.

I will have a piece of cake though at Benjamin's third birthday party on Saturday as I feel I've earned it!

Today is a day I pat myself on the back but it's back on the treadmill tonight as I have a lot of work to do now and the rest of my life.

3 comments:

laura, jim's sister said...

This is fantastic, Bill! Congrats on your good news and good management of the diabetes!!

Karen said...

Great information. I encourage people to check out the information on reversing prediabetes at http://treatprediabetes.com

Karen said...

I encourage people to check out the information on reversing prediabetes at http://treatprediabetes.com

I like your blog