Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life with Diabetes

Flash back to mid-December 2007. I was in a job that I was stressed and unhappy at. My car had been rear ended resulting in a trip to the emergency room with a back ache. I had a cold. One night I was working on the computer and watching Deal or No Deal. I was waiting for Benjamin's laundry to dry. All of the sudden I started to cough uncontrollably. So I stood up and next thing I remember I was picking myself up from the floor. I must have stopped breathing when I was coughing and blacked out. The whole episode probably took fifteen to twenty seconds. They were asking someone whether or not they wanted the deal and when I woke up, they were still arguing over it so I couldn't have been out long.

Scared the hell out of me to the point I went to see my doctor. I experienced a vasovagal syncope. The way it was explained to me was when I was coughing uncontrollably, the heart puts out less blood and the blood pressure drops, and what blood is circulating goes to the legs rather than to the head. The brain is then deprived of oxygen, and the result was my losing consciousness. During the past few months I have had several visits with my doctor and numerous tests. I am ok, however:

In December I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and since then I have been taking medication to control it. Earlier this month I had some more follow up tests and the result is I have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes

Well, it's not a death sentence but it is something I have to take very seriously as this runs in my family and my Grandfather lost a leg during the later part of his life. I've got a very active two and a half year old and when I get to age 70 I want to still be able to chase foul balls at the ball yard.

So I am on more medication and I need to monitor my blood sugar daily. I have finally started to take my diet seriously. When I gave up drinking in 1989, I started to rely on sweets, candy bars, ice cream, you name it, to replace the sugars lost in the alcohol I was giving up. The doctor told me I can still eat the above but in moderation but I told the doctor I don't do moderation very well.

In addition to changing my diet, I have also started to take exercising seriously. Thank goodness for the recreation center close to home.

I knew I probably should have started to change my diet and exercise more when this happened last December but at times I am very stubborn and I would always dismiss it. Now with this diagnosis official, I need to take care of myself better. For Weena. For Benjamin.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Good luck, Bill. That's why my doctor ordered a stress test for me when I talked about family health history and all, even though I wasn't 40 yet. Gave us a baseline we can work from now.

You'll be fine. Just give all your candy to me. :D