Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tag, I'm it!

I got tagged here by Dave. So here are my answers:

Eight Songs I Am Diggin’ On Right Now:

Dominic Miller’s version of Moonlight Sonata (Piano Sonata Number 14). Dominic is a fantastic guitarist. This is off his album Shapes and it features interpretations of classical pieces by composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Elgar and Albinoni. He has appeared on Phil Collins' solo album, ...But Seriously. He later appeared as a guitarist on recordings by Sting, and has gone on to work on every Sting album and tour since 1990. Last time I saw Sting in 2001, his opening act Jill Scott had to cancel due to strep throat and with Sting in downtown DC receiving an award, Dominic came out and played for an hour until Sting arrived to start the show. That was incredible!

Neil Young’s Don’t Let It Bring You Down from his recently released CD Live at Massey Hall 1971. This entire CD is fantastic. Trust me.

Burning Sun by Echo Helstrom. This is by an Oregon-based rock band led by former Blanket Music guitarist Ross Seligman and was named after a former girlfriend of Bob Dylan. I heard this song and Mad World below on XM Channel 50, The Loft when I was driving home from work one Saturday afternoon.

Mad World by Gary Jules. This was done with a friend of his Michael Andrews. It is a nice remake of the Tears for Fears' single and it was done for the movie Donnie Darko. The song has also been used on TV shows Without A Trace, ER, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Smallville.

Ron Sexsmith’s cover of Paul McCartney and Wing’s Listen To What The Man Said. I can’t remember where I got this version, maybe off a music blog aggregator, but the version I have is live from someplace in France. I heard about him on Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour and have been impressed with his music.

Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs: I love ‘80’s music. Why, I really don’t know. Maybe it was because I was drunk the entire decade and missed it? I always crank the volume of this song up when it comes on XM’s ‘80’s Channel. I don’t know why this was never top 40 here in the US back then. It’s a great song.

The City by Mark-Almond Band. This is off the album Other Peoples Rooms, released in 1978. Nice mix of rock and jazz here and it's over ten minutes long. I really don’t know a whole lot about this band, but I remember my friend Rick had this album and we listened to it when we were in high school. Again, I re-discovered this song listening to the Real Jazz station on XM. I guess that is a benefit of a one hour commute to and from work.

My Funny Valentine by Miles Davis. I’ve always loved this song and I have many versions of it by many artists. Right now I am on sort of a Miles kick and can’t get enough of his work. When Benjamin and I sit down for our music session, after we listen to his Baby Einstein, I’ve put on Miles and his music just relaxes me and Benjamin seems to enjoy it as well. Nils Lofgren did a nice version of this song at one of his Birchmere concerts in September 2001 and it was a treat hearing him do this live.

If money were no object, what would you be doing with your life?
Playing a lot of golf, living on a beach someplace, traveling to various places Weena and I are dreaming about and spending a lot more time with Benjamin.

Money is just that - an object, so why aren’t you doing it?
I haven’t picked the right combo in Powerball?

What’s better: horses or cows?
Cow as Benjamin can imitate a cow’s mooing when he sees one in his book of animals. It’s really funny hearing him mooooo.

What do you think the secret to happiness is?
Saying I love you to your wife and child as many times as you can.

When was the last time you had a dream that you either remember well or did not want to awake from? Can you share a bit?
I had a dream I was with my late friend Gema and we were walking together. I was telling her all about Weena and Benjamin and she said "I know, I know". She was telling me how impressed with Benjamin she was and how she liked my family and wished me luck raising Benjamin. Everything became fuzzy and I remember screaming in the dream “don’t go” and I woke up. I told Weena this and she said it was Gema’s soul checking in on me. Once in awhile I have a dream about her. She was killed in a car accident in Madrid, Spain in 1999.

When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Washington Senators slugger Frank Howard. It was a dream come true when I met him in 1991 and shook his hand.

Complete this statement: Love is…
...like oxygen. You get too much you get too high, not enough and you're gonna die. The Sweet, 1978

Can you tell a good story?
Sometimes, but I have a tendency to repeat things during the story. That kills the interest at times. I do a pretty good job telling my story at AA meetings because I know deep down I am reaching someone in the audience with my tale(s). I can feel the connection when I am speaking.

Can you remember your last daydream? What was it about?
Picking up Benjamin at day care. I take time out each day and wonder what he is doing, is he happy, what is he learning?

If you were to thank someone today, who would you thank?
My wife Weena for saying yes on July 1, 2001. My son Benjamin for handing me a random toy. We are trying to teach sharing with him.

I don't know who to tag so for those checking in, if you wish, please leave whatever thoughts or your own eight songs you are listening to in the Comments section. Thanks!

1 comment:

Dave said...

I'm listening to "Live at Massey Hall" right now, and was searching for entries that might reveal something about the chorus, and what Neil meant by it.

Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around.