Monday, March 20, 2006

My Cousin in Iraq

My cousin is a U.S. Marine. I spoke about him in one of the first posts of this blog back in December. He and his wife have a son, who was born a month before our son Benjamin.

He left for Iraq yesterday. From what I have heard he will be training Iraqi soldiers in Fallujah. In speaking with him yesterday, he was very confident and said “I’ll be home in seven months” when we said goodbye.

When he graduated from college, he worked as a newspaper reporter for the Journal Newspapers for a couple years. He decided to follow his Father’s footsteps and join the Marines in January 1999.

He’s been training his fellow Marines for duty in Iraq. Now he gets to go over there.

Driving home from work today I was thinking about him and his family when all of the sudden tears started flowing. Why? I can't explain it. Perhaps it was a sense of pride. I’m very proud of my Uncle for his service to our country. I’m also damn proud of my cousin. Both are heroes to me.

I know he will be ok in Iraq. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and I’m very confident in his leadership abilities. I am proud he is defending our country.

He gave me a way to contact him through Motomail. The way this works is you send mail through a web site, it gets to Kuwait in a day and from there, it’s transferred into a letter format and he would get it like he would a regular letter. Only it won’t take three weeks for him to get it.

As I get news from my Aunt and Uncle, I’ll summarize and update everyone here. In the meantime, if you have well wishes for my cousin or other Marines, please post them in the comments section here or go to my Profile and you can send me an e-mail. Write about anything on your mind. It can be a prayer, a funny joke or a summary of a sports event you saw. Whatever is on your mind. I’ll take the comments, cut and paste them in a motomail to him. I won’t use names. I just want to make sure he has a diversion, a smile or a laugh.

Thank you. God bless all the service men and women over in Iraq and Afghanistan. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he's staying in a rear area he can probably get just about whatever he wants but if he's gonna be out there humping a pack with mre's and canteens of water on patrols then I've got a few suggestions.

If you want to send a care package to him throw some Kool-Aid packets in there to give that so called "potable" water from the tankers a little kick.

Small tins of things like sardines, weinies, pudding snacks, juices, those little cheese and crackers 'snackables' type things etc. Anything that won't melt in the heat. Keep it small and light. Small bottles of condiments like tobasco and soy sauce, salt, pepper shakers, whatever to spice up his mre's.

Also, you know those "wetnap" packets you get at some restaurants to clean the rib sauce off you when your done eating? Those suckers some how stay cool. I guess it's the alcohol in them that gives the cool sensation but tear one open and wipe it over your face and you'll be refreshed. Send a bunch of those. They are a crowd pleaser even on the hottest of days.

Molly from California said...

I send a bunch of stuff on a regular basis. Extra books, DVD's, VHS, etc. All my FHM, Stuff, Maxim and sometimes I try to sneak through the Playboys. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.

I also send a toiletries in the sample and hotel sizes and baby wipes and Kool-Aid packs. I also send razors and shaving stuff.